Regular door locks do a great job at securing a barrier between the outdoors and the inside of your home. For years, companies have done everything in their power to perfect the little mechanical technologies so that only a key can unlock the door; that key is usually in your possession, or in someone you trust’s possession. But what if you don’t have that key handy, or what if you don’t have a free hand to get the key into the lock?
Imagine one of these situations in real time:
- You’re approaching the door with several bags of groceries in hand, and you don’t want to have to put the groceries down to fish your key out to open the door. What can you do?
- You’re not home, and one of your relatives, friends, guests, or Airbnb clients wants to enter your home with your permission. You don’t like placing your spare key in a relatively accessible place for just about anyone to get a hold of. What do you do?
- You’re not at home, but you want to keep track of who enters your home and when they enter your home. What do you do?
The answer to all three of these questions is rather simple: Install a smart lock; it’ll make your life less complicated.
Let’s take a look at the reasons a smart lock will make your life easier in more detail.
Smart locks allow you to lock and unlock your doors without keys
Every smart lock has an array of options you can choose from when it comes to locking features. The following locking or unlocking options are available with various brands:
– Lock and unlock the smart lock system by waving in front of the technology
– Lock and unlock the smart lock system by turning your smartphone in front of the technology
– Lock and unlock the smart lock system by touching the technology with your finger (only relevant if your smartphone is nearby)
– Lock and unlock the smart lock system by selecting a control key in the application on your smartphone
– Lock and unlock the smart lock system by merely approaching your door
– Lock and unlock the smart lock system by talking to your lock and giving it specific
Smart locks give you the ability to send virtual “keys” to relatives, friends, or visitors
Virtual “keys” can only be used if the person receiving the key has downloaded the application on their smartphone. Every smart lock application has this feature.
The process of sending out virtual “keys” is relatively simple. All you have to do is choose a phone number to send the key to, and the person trying to enter your house will have access in under a minute. You can also set an active time frame that the virtual “key” can be used during; for instance, if you only want your visitor to have access to the virtual “key” for fifteen minutes, the “key” will no longer work after those fifteen minutes, and they will need to obtain another from you.
While the virtual “key” is active, you’ll also be able to check on the person when they’ve entered the house, when they are in the house, and when they leave the house. History is always logged and kept in the smart lock application for you to check out at any given time.
Smart locks can set up alerts to let you know when someone is entering or leaving your home
As stated above, virtual “key” access allows you to monitor when someone is entering your home, when someone is present in your home, and when someone is leaving your home. However, smart lock applications can do much more than just that.
Smart lock apps and technologies can continuously monitor the areas they are installed around. The system allows you to not only be aware of what’s going on when someone has access to your virtual “keys,” but it also gives you the right to limit people from accessing your home. For example, if you don’t want anyone to be able to enter your home besides the person that owns the primary smartphone hooked up to the smart lock, you can do that. You can set restrictions as to what times other users are allowed access to your home.
Basically, this technological feature can help you with several situations. The smart lock system can help you out when you have found yourself locked out of your home. The smart lock system can help you out when your mom or dad need to run by your house to grab something they forget after Sunday night dinner. The smart lock system can help you out when you’re not home, and you want to monitor your front door locks. Realistically, the smart lock system is a remarkable improvement to the traditional locking techniques we’ve installed for years now.
Remember to have a pack of batteries handy if you decide to install the smart lock application and system in your household. The smart locks are battery operated, and each set of batteries typically lasts from six months to a year. You will receive an alert when the batteries are running low on juice, so don’t think you’ll be locked out of your house unexpectedly, because you won’t.
Smart locks have made several homeowners happy, is it their turn to make you happy?