As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before.
Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications,
like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations,
we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open
and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news
and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.
As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.
For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:
- A user experience almost completely free of ads
- Access to our Premium Section
- Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew – Ivrit
- A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel
Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.
Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief
At least 10 families living in Gaza border communities have decided to leave the area following the repeated rounds of violence between Israel and terror groups in the Hamas-run coastal enclave, Channel 13 reported on Friday.
According to the report, the families arrived in the Sha’ar Hanegev Regional council last year and have told the council that they will be leaving this summer due the security situation.
“These are dramatic numbers that we haven’t seen since Operation Protective Edge,” the report continued, adding that there is a fear that more families will follow suit and leave the area.
Approximately 70,000 Israelis reside in over 50 communities in the Gaza border area. There had been a marked increase of people moving to the area over the past five years following Operation Protective Edge in 2016.
But during the past year, there have been 10 rounds of violent conflict, causing residents to interrupt their daily lives and remain close to bomb shelters since they only have some 15 seconds to find shelter from rocket and mortar fire. The last round of violence in early May saw over 700 rockets fired towards southern Israel, which killed four civilians.
The Great Return March border protests, which began on March 30, have seen over half a million people violently demonstrating along the security fence demanding an end to the 12-year-long blockade. Between several thousand to 45,000 have congregated at points along the border range every Friday.
Demonstrators have been burning tires and hurling stones and marbles as well as other types of violence which include the throwing of grenades and improvised explosive devices (including military-grade explosives) toward troops. Ball bearings and other projectiles are also launched by high-velocity slingshots towards forces along the border.
Palestinians launching kites, balloons and condoms carrying Molotov cocktails or improvised explosive devices, have posed a major problem for Israel since the beginning of the March of Return protests along the Gaza border fence.
The devices have caused over 2,000 separate fires resulting in over 35,000 dunams (approximately 8,500 acres) being burnt. According to the IDF, this has included over 13,000 dunams (approximately 3,200 acres) of nature reserves, and over 11,000 dunams (approximately 2,700 acres) of forestry.
On Friday, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Aviv Kochavi met with the heads of the Gaza communities and told them that the relative calm along the border has been proving effective, with a decrease in incendiary aerial balloons launched towards southern Israel and a decrease in violent Great Return March riots along the fence.
“The reduction in the number of balloons and the decrease in the number of violent incidents on the fence is not coincidental,” Kochavi was quoted by Mako as saying, adding that while the IDF “prefers to give this arrangement a chance… we cannot let the balloon terror continue.”
In recent weeks, the IDF has responded to incendiary balloons by reducing the fishing zone off of the Gaza coast instead of by striking those who launch them. On Thursday, a day after Israel had expanded the zone to 15 nautical miles, it reduced it back to 10 miles after four incendiary balloons caused fires in southern Israel.
Now is the time to join the news event of the year – The Jerusalem Post Annual Conference!
For more information and to sign up, click here>>